creative consulting for the art of life by Jason Jenn

creative consulting for the art of life by Jason Jenn

Friday, February 25, 2011

CRAZY FOR A FOX (Part 2): MARIANNA

The multi-talented Marianna Fox at her Silverlake gallery opening Feb. 2011
Two weeks ago I talked about the importance of creative friendships and the artist Krys Fox as he made his gallery debut in Brooklyn. This week we turn our attention to another Fox -- Marianna Fox, a multitalented artist who is also connected by the bond of Phyllis’ Garage, an intimate performance and art venue created out of the place I called home with R. Sky Palkowitz from 2001-2002. Sky and I have co-hosted a plethora of events since those early days and are celebrating the 10 year anniversary this year with PGX (Phyllis’ Garage 10) which will include several events in the coming months - more information forthcoming!

Marianna & Sky performing at Phyllis' Garage in 2002
While Sky and I share a most unorthodox collaboration worthy of scratching the head over at times, I’ve found it to hold a variety of riches on this artistic journey. One of the greatest benefits about such a friendship has been the lovely mix of people that Sky befriends on a regular basis, and Marianna Fox is one of the coolest I’ve had the pleasure of calling a friend by association. I admire the many faceted nature of Marianna’s talents. To be in her presence is to immediately feel the energy of a sharp mind, a passionate soul, and fierce performer. She is a creative inferno who tackles all manner of art forms with a bold precision.
I love this festive 2004 pic from my "Personalized Mythology" photo series
I recently caught up with Marianna at her art opening at Mornings/Nights cafe in Silverlake. Marianna is a bicoastal entity, splitting her time primarily between NYC and Los Angeles. The digital collage mixed with painting works on display were those created in her LA studio. While in NYC she works on different types of work. This approach seems to help Marianna manage her various interests, and each environment determines the type of material she uses. But wherever she goes, music follows, and its her beautiful voice and guitar playing that I most know her for. Here’s some archive footage of an impromptu performance at Phyllis’ Garage Art Be-In Day in 2001:



Marianna answers 5 Quick Questions:

1. How do you describe yourself as an artist? What type of work do you do?
I describe myself as a Renaissance Artist. I revolve my worlds around creativity as it hits me. I follow the work till its done. But, I might revolve other arts to inspire the others. Some people say, "stick to one thing". I say, "why", and ruin my fun....one thing I do have is focus so all my work gets done.
The type of work I do could be song writing, singing, performance art, photography, and mixed media. Sometimes all is combined....I'm also a healer/massage therapist for 21 years which has been a huge part of who I am and the energy that I can put out to the world.

2. If you could only choose one, which is your favorite media, and of that, which is your favorite piece you’d want most to share with others, and why?
Hmmm, this ones hard to answer...I'd probably say music, because it is what I was born with...being a child in a musical family....I don't have a favorite piece, really...If I do a piece or performance, it is always important to me and is my favorite at the moment...I like to keep things fresh and moving.

3. What/who have been the major influences and inspirations to your work?
I would say that travel and nature have been the major influences in my life...hearing random peoples stories inspires me and triggers creativity...then I see color and images that lead me...Often, the moment before I sleep, I see myself doing new things and creating...sometimes its just a feeling that comes over me....I am inspired by any performance that has pure passion of creativity...

4. What comes to mind as one of the most interesting circumstances behind the creation of a particular work?
When I'm in the groove of creating, I start to buzz literally...The excitement is so much fun and it creates happiness around me too...That is very interesting to me...Its not a selfish thing, its something I like to share...When I take on a certain project and commit to it...I am very confident that it is right and that all the stars are aligning...Then I move towards it with passion...Its what I live for....

5. What’s next?

Next projects are a soultry modern album which I just completed with Songwriter/Producer Carter Tutwiler and will be out soon....performing it with the band...Also learning jazz standards and will perform eventually with my brother James Fuchs(Musician/Producer)...We will definately give it another twist. Normally I am doing all my own material but I'm trying things a different way and learning a hell of a lot..
I will have 2 pieces of Art in TOAST Tribeca at the Salomon Arts Gallery in Tribeca NYC at the end of April...
And a big show at the same Gallery in June with another artist...working out the details now...Next year will be another LippyLu(Multi Media performance art show in Los Angeles Ca), where I do all the music and work on background video with my performance partner Jon David Casey as we perform in front of it....you can see samples of my work on Facebook (Marianna Fox)(lippiLu)


Marianna before the show @ Phyllis' Garage in 2002

No comments:

Post a Comment