creative consulting for the art of life by Jason Jenn

creative consulting for the art of life by Jason Jenn

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Cavafy's Caress Update



This weekend I present a brand new creation based on the beautiful and sensuous poetry of Constantine P. Cavafy at the Affinity Gallery in Long Beach. The video will give you a nice introduction into who the renowned gay, Greek poet was.

About the production. Last spring the curator/owner of Affinity Gallery, Chevalier Tony Clark, invited me to create a performance based on the works of Cavafy to coordinate with the exhibition of famed photographer Stathis Orphanis' new book called "My Cavafy" - in which the photos were inspired by Cavafy poetry (btw: Stathis will be on hand at both shows to sell & sign copies of his beautiful book).

So, I wrote a script that utilized Cavafy's poetry to give a glimpse into his sensual life and was  set to do the production, but had to cancel due to a throat surgery last summer. Flash foward to a month ago, when Tony Clark contacted me again to share he had a new gallery space with an interesting stage set-up, and so, I went back to Cavafy's exquisite poetry and developed the work further.

I am so grateful for this opportunity to know Cavafy more intimately. The process has brought me closer to a sublime poet's words and world.

And I look forward to sharing many of Cavafy's most revealing and powerful poems to you on Saturday, April 2, 2011 at 2pm and 7pm! AND NOW BY POPULAR DEMAND AN ENCORE PRESENTATION ON MAY 7th, at 6pm!!!

For more information about The Affinity Galleries - http://affinitygalleries.com/
To purchase tickets: http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/171954

No comments:

Post a Comment