creative consulting for the art of life by Jason Jenn

creative consulting for the art of life by Jason Jenn

Thursday, February 5, 2015

The Patrick Angus Connection Part 1


This is a self portrait by Patrick Angus. I am working with my friend and artistic colleague Marc Arranaga, Art Historian, Curator and Filmmaker on the creation of a documentary about the life and times of Patrick Angus (1953-1992).  Angus was an American social realist painter most known for his work depicting the everyday gay life and scenes around The Gaiety Theater in NYC. He was referred to as "The Toulouse-Latrec of Times Square" by his friend (and mine) Robert Patrick, for how he depicted what some deemed a "seedy gay  underworld" in a beautiful light in the same way TL did with the Parisian nightlife. 

In working on this project as editor (and assistant director) I am in awe not only of the talent Angus possessed, but the various connections shared with my own life. While I never knew Patrick Angus until Marc brought him to my attention, I now realize how interwoven our lives are, and I feel charged by the opportunity to work with Marc in illuminating Angus's life and work to a greater audience. It is sad to think that Angus died at age 39 of AIDS complications. He had such promise in the years ahead of him. I just recently turned 40 and feel so incomplete with all the art I want to manifest in the world. The world lost so many great artists from the AIDS crisis - and it is also why I am working on a grant for The City of West Hollywood to perform the works of those whose careers were cut short from the crisis  - but that is another blog/story...
I actually have many stories to share all connected with this project, but for now I find it wonderful to be able to help bring this story forth with Marc. It's our third video collaboration together, having completed two short artist video profiles. With each project we are learning more and I am grateful to be stretching my video capabilities and excited to be working on my first feature documentary.

The picture on the right is a photo Marc snapped of me in December 2010 when I was visiting him in NYC (he has since moved back to LA). I'm reading his copy of the book of Patrick Angus paintings called "Strip Show" by Douglas Turnbaugh. I had no idea that years later we'd actually be making the documentary. That Marc would receive the blessing of Douglas Turnbaugh, his estate holder, and by an interesting twist of fate, that I would be friends with Robert Patrick Playwright (who I didn't know until 2011). Robert Patrick was THE friend of Patrick Angus who convinced him to paint the works that are featured in the Strip Show book and what Angus is most known for.

MORE SOON...

No comments:

Post a Comment